This Italian Creme cake recipe comes from our 1980’s vintage Ohio Art floral recipe box and sounds like a very sweet recipe with an entire box of powdered sugar as an ingredient!
At the top of the recipe card it says it comes from Pat Webb. We have to wonder: Is this the same Pat who gave us this oatmeal cookie recipe?
Here is the Italian Creme Cake Recipe Card:
This recipe features coconut, pecans, buttermilk, and a cream cheese frosting.
Oh, and a whole pound of powdered sugar!
Sounds like a pretty sweet treat! When I actually get around to baking this I will be sure to update this post with photos and notes.
Italian Creme Cake Recipe
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs yolks + whites separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp soda
- 3 ½ oz coconut flakes
- ½ cup pecans
- 8 oz cream cheese
For the Frosting
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese
- ½ stick margarine
- 1 16 oz box box powdered sugar
- ½ cup pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Cake:
- Cream together 1 stick margarine and 1/2 cup shortening.
- Add 2 cups sugar and 5 egg yolks.
- Beat and add alternately 1 cup buttermilk with flour + soda.
- Add 3 1/2 oz coconut and 1/2 cup pecans.
- Fold in 5 egg whites, beat stiff.
- Bake at 350 degrees in a greased or parchment paper lined pan for 30 minutes.
For the Icing:
- To make the icing, beat together 8 ounces of cream cheese with 1/2 stick of margarine or butter.
- Add 1 box of powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla to icing mixture.
- Stir in pecans to icing.
- After cake is cooled, spread icing on cake as desired.